Amsterdam is one of the most romantic cities on earth. Couples riding together on one bicycle, strolling over canal bridges hand in hand, and tulips everywhere!
Be sure to check our agenda for lots of activities happening on February 14th in the city. There is lots to do whether you are single or a couple.
Here’s our guide to a lovely Valentines Day in Amsterdam.
Amsterdam Valentines Day: 7 Things To Do with Your Valentine
- Go for a walk: As mentioned above, there is nothing more romantic than wandering through the city, across bridges, along quiet streets and beside shimmering canals. Start anywhere in the center and just wander. Maybe stop along the way for a snack or a drink. (see our romantic drinking and dining tips below)
- Rent a boat: It’s a little chilly in February but if you’ve got a warm coat and maybe a thermos of hot cocoa, boating together could be quite a romantic day in the city. Don’t forget to bring along a few blankets, too. Here are some of our tips for the best places to rent a boat in Amsterdam.
- Catch a movie: The cinema is always a good place to get snuggly in the dark. Amsterdam has quite a few theaters with extra special charm like Pathé Tuschinski and The Movies. Here are our favorite cinemas in Amsterdam, some are very romantic!
- Get cultured: Catch a concert at the Concertgebouw or watch the performace of Mata Hari by the Dutch National Ballet together.
- Go for a bike ride: Bundle up and hop on your bicycle for a fun outing with just the two of you. Take a short ride out of town to Ouderkerk aan de Amstel, along Het Brettenpad or through Waterland. Take a picnic along and find a sheltered spot for a cozy break.
- Museum hop: Is the weather too cold for an active day outside? Then take your lover for a romantic visit to one of Amsterdam’s many museums. There is something for everyone. Modern art at Stedelijk, photography at Huis Marseille and FOAM, boats and shipping at Scheepvaartmuseum.
- Do a day trip: If you live in Amsterdam, why not take a day trip out of town. If you don’t feel like venturing far away you can hop on the train to Haarlem. There are lots of charming cafes and picturesque spots there to explore.
Drinking and Dining on Valentines Day in Amsterdam
When most people think of Valentines Day activities, going out to eat is probably at the top of the list. Amsterdam has plenty of romantic restaurants and cafes to suit every taste and budget. Here are a few of our top choices for lovey-dovey dining.
ROMANTIC VALENTINES DAY BRUNCH OR LUNCH
A cozy brunch or lunch is a good choice if you are spending a whole relaxing day with your special someone, or perhaps you recently started dating and are not ready for the full commitment of a Valentines Day dinner. Following are a few spots with tasty food and an amorous ambiance.
- Gartine is a classic favorite for delicious food, lovingly prepared. Reservations a must!
- Bak would make for a lovely Valentine’s Day lunch complete with a view.
- Vinnies Deli is a cozy cafe with healthy and tasty lunch in the city center
- Bakers & Roasters is the perfect place for a hearty brunch or lunch that will fill you up for any V-Day activities.
- Gs boat is a romantic setting for brunch with your lover.
ROMANTIC VALENTINES DINNER IN AMSTERDAM
Choosing a restaurant for a Valentines Day dinner really depends on the tastes and expectations of you and your date. Does your love want you to show your affection by picking the fanciest and most exclusive restaurant in town? Are you foodies with the desire to try something new and delicious? Or are the two of you more interested in cuddling in a dimly lit corner? Here are a few choices whatever the situation.
- Pop up restaurant Staets Amsterdam in Felix Meritis should satisfy foodies.
- Exotic flavors will get your tastebuds tingling. Head to de Pijp for a casual meal at Pho 91, De Japanner or Dim Sum Now.
- Italian food is so sexy. Head to Cantinetta Wine and Pasta in West for a cozy dinner for two.
- Mystique has tasty ribs and strong cocktails. Sounds like a good combination for love.
- Sharing is caring! Try Bar Boca’s for small plates or big platters to share.
- A bit in the higher budget range, De Kas, Mr Porter and Wilde Zwijnen are at the top of our list for delicious food and special ambiance.
- Visit one of our favorite cafes with fireplaces and relax by the flames. Many of them serve dinner as well.
VALENTINES DAY DRINKS
Perhaps your idea of the perfect Valentines Day is to get totally wasted! Well, maybe not. But knowing a place to have drinks before, after or instead of dinner seems like a good thing. Our top recommendations follow below.
- What’s sexier than a beautiful cocktail? Check out our favorite cocktail bars in Amsterdam! Most of them are cozy, chic and the ultimate in romance. Just check in advance since Valentines Day falls on a Sunday this year some of them might be closed.
- Wine is also an excellent choice to get in that loving mood. Share a bottle or let your loved one sample a sip from your glass. These wine bars are great places to ignite a spark.
- A lot of guys (and gals) really like their whisky. Does yours? Why not surprise them with a date to JD Williams whisky bar?
- Gezelligheid is basically just a word to describe Amsterdam. Most of the cafes in the city are super cozy, comfortable and relaxed. Grab a table for two at a gezellige cafe with glowing candles, have a few drinks and gaze into each other’s eyes.
5 Valentines Day Gift Ideas
We won’t try to guess what the object of your affection really wants for Valentines Day. Candy and flowers are common tokens of your love, but maybe you want to step it up and get your date something else. Here are a few Valentines gift ideas we’ve spotted around the city.
- This anatomical heart locket from The Otherist is a visual symbol of how strongly your heart pounds for that special someone.
- So we’ve all heard of Netflix but maybe your lover would like a subscription to MUBI, streaming a selection of interesting independent movies. Get some popcorn and let’s cuddle.
- How about some sweet LOVE panties from Love Stories? You can pick them up at Six & Sons. A gift for both of you.
- Does your special someone enjoy special beer? Then get them a gift card from De Bierkoning!
- And finally a gift that is truly for the both of you! Smitten Mittens are special conjoined mittens that you both wear to stay warm while holding hands. Awesome or wacky? You decide.
We hope you enjoyed our tips for a romantic time with your special someone. Maak er een mooie Valentijnsdag van met veel liefde, knuffeltjes, kusjes en chocolade. Have a wonderful Valentines Day whatever you do!