What is it like to live on a houseboat in Amsterdam? Luckily, you can find out yourself and rent one during your visit.
STAY ON A HOUSEBOAT IN AMSTERDAM
You’ll find old ships converted into living quarters and custom built floating mansions. Many tourists are curious about the history of houseboats in Amsterdam. The city often suffers from a shortage of affordable housing, and this was the case after WWII. Unused cargo ships were converted into affordable living spaces and docked along the canals, avoiding rent and taxes. Nowadays however, houseboats are seen as charming and desirable places to stay, and rents are not cheap!
Check out these photos of some of our favorites.
We’ve found tiny boats perfect for just one or two guests or huge ships for groups of up to 25 people! You can rent a houseboat in the city center on one of the main canals like Prinsengracht or Brouwersgracht, along the harbor or in the quieter neighborhoods of the city.
There are lots of places to rent a houseboat, here are a few of our top choices:
- Airbnb: There are many houseboats in Amsterdam listed on Airbnb.
- House-Boat Hotel: This website has a great selection of houseboats for large groups as well as smaller boats for 2 people.
- Houseboats.nl: Only a few houseboats listed but these are some of the classiest houseboats in town.
- Loving apartments: A good selection of houseboats, but the links seem to be malfunctioning today. But take a look!
- CityMundo: Smaller and less expensive houseboats for the solo traveler or couples.
- Amsterdam Book Now: This website has several houseboats for rent.
You can also learn more about houseboats at the Houseboat Museum on the Prinsengracht.
Looking for unique places to stay in Amsterdam? Check out these unusual hotels.