The Stedelijk museum holds the largest collection of modern and contemporary art in the Netherlands. You’ll find everything from ceramics to photography to paintings from artists like Klee, Calder and Mondriaan.
VIEW MODERN ART AT THE STEDELIJK MUSEUM AMSTERDAM
The museum reopened in 2013 after being refurbished and expanded. Originally designed by A.W. Weissman at the end of the 19th century, the building was remodeled several times. The newest addition, nicknamed “the bathtub”, was designed by Benthem Crouwel Architects and opens the museum onto Museumplein to face the Van Gogh Museum and Rijksmuseum.
This museum is a must-visit for the lover of modern art. There are textiles, ceramics, posters, furniture, photography, paintings and sculptures to dazzle and intrigue you. Perhaps you’ll even see a piece of performance art. On our last visit we came across a woman singing beautifully in one of the rooms and someone slowly writhing on the floor in another. Very surprising and interesting! The Beanery piece by Ed Kienholz is also fascinating, as I have been to the real location in Los Angeles many times.
The special exhibits make return visits a must. Don’t miss the peek back in history with the “Second World War and the Stedelijk” exhibit. It is very interesting how art works were protected during war time. Past highlights include the Marcel Wanders exhibit and the Matisse exhibit.
The museum’s restaurant and cafe in the lobby is a lovely place to have a drink or meal after taking a look at the art. It’s also a great spot for a business meeting with its bright and airy design. Be sure to also check out our guide to places to eat and drink close to Museumplein.
Helpful hints for visiting the Stedelijk Museum:
- Don’t want to wait in line? Book your ticket online and skip the queue!
- If you plan to visit more than three museums within the year, we recommend the Museumkaart. The price of €59 is worth it as entrance to each museum is around €15-20 for adults. Locals can also look into the We Are Public or Subbacultcha membership.
- Combine a visit to the Stedelijk with a canal cruise
- Even better get a combo ticket for a canal cruise plus the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh and Stedelijk too
Museumplein 10, Amsterdam
HAVE YOU VISITED ALL OF THE TOP 10 AMSTERDAM MUSEUMS ALREADY?
You might also like these posts:
- Sleep on a houseboat in Amsterdam
- Keukenhof gardens
- 13 Amsterdam secrets
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best garden cafes in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam street art
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- Top canal boat tours in Amsterdam