This airy, bright space holds the world’s largest collection of artworks by Vincent Van Gogh.
VAN GOGH MUSEUM AMSTERDAM
A visit to the Van Gogh museum is a must for any lover of art. It holds nearly 200 paintings by Van Gogh in addition to his letters and drawings.
The museum also has an impressive collection of works by the painter’s contemporaries, friends, followers, and artistic predecessors, including many Impressionist and Post-Impressionist artists.
Upon visiting, you might notice that the museum is made up of two different structures. The main building where the entrance sits was designed by Gerrit Rietveld and is angular in style, while the rounded secondary structure was built 26 years later by architect Kisho Kurokawa. The museum was under renovations for their 40th anniversary last year. Now they built a new glass entrance to better tie the museum in with the Stedelijk and other structures on the Museumplein. Looks great!
The museum regularly hosts fun activities in their large, airy entrance space. Many Friday evenings the museum’s ground floor is transformed into a lounge bar hosting a diverse array of musical and theater events, as well as occasional free guided tours and artistic workshops.
Helpful hints for visiting the Van Gogh Museum:
- One of Amsterdam’s most popular attractions, the Van Gogh museum often has a line out the front door. Skip the queue by buying your tickets online ahead of time or getting the Iamsterdam card or a Museumkaart.
- Be sure to check out the museum shop, it is full of creative gifts for art lovers of all ages. I particularly like the Van Gogh memory cards.
- By the way, did you know that the correct pronunciation of Van Gogh is with two hard Dutch Gs, and not “Van Go” as many people say it?
- Get a two hour guided tour of the museum
- Combine a canal cruise with your entry tickets for the Van Gogh Museum plus the Stedelijk and Rijksmuseum too
Want to learn more about Van Gogh and visit some places important to his life and work? Check out these Van Gogh tours and activities including canal cruises and walking tours in Amsterdam.
Van Gogh Museum
Paulus Potterstraat 7, Amsterdam
HUNGRY AT MUSEUMPLEIN? CHECK OUT OUR TIPS FOR RESTAURANTS AROUND THE VAN GOGH MUSEUM.
HAVE YOU VISITED ALL OF THE TOP 10 AMSTERDAM MUSEUMS ALREADY?