Wintertime is a terrific season to be in Amsterdam. Although the temperatures are colder and it might be windy and rainy, there is a lot to see and do.
12 THINGS TO DO IN AMSTERDAM IN WINTER TIME
- If you are visiting Amsterdam in the winter be sure to check out the holiday lights around town. The decorations go up in early November and a walk or cycle ride around town after dusk will certainly delight you. Be sure to visit the Negen Straatjes area to see the “9”s as well as other street markets and shopping areas around town.
- Hop on a canal boat or pull on your boots and take a look at the spectacular Amsterdam Light Festival.
- Go ice skating at a local square. Museumplein and Leidseplein set up ice skating rinks in the winter. Rent some skates and take a spin on the ice.
- Go for a long boozy weekend brunch complete with bloody marys and mimosas.
- Have a gluhwijn or a dark beer at one of our favorite cozy bars.
- Check out our gift guide and go shopping for local Amsterdam holiday gifts.
- Hope for snow! The canals of Amsterdam become even more beautiful with a layer of fluffy white snow. Typically it does not snow very much in Amsterdam but when it does everyone gets excited.
- Grab a bar stool at one of our favorite specialty beer bars and try some local Amsterdam brews.
- When the weather outside is gloomy it is the perfect opportunity to visit one of Amsterdam’s many museums. Check out one of the top 10 or visit a smaller canalside museum like Huis Marseille, Museum Van Loon or Geelvinck Hinlopen Huis.
- Take a break at a cafe or restaurant with a friendly fireplace.
- Hot coffee will warm you up from the inside after taking a chilly walk through Amsterdam’s quiet wintery streets. Check out one of our favorite coffee spots.
- Hide out at one of our favorite cinemas in the city on a cold afternoon. Maybe see a matinee or go for dinner and a movie at De Hallen. Lots of tasty things to try at De Foodhallen.
- Stay in, light some candles, turn up the heat and order food to be delivered.
AMSTERDAM: WINTER WONDERLAND
Check our agenda too for more ideas for things to do in Amsterdam and information about what is on in town today!
Curious about Amsterdam weather in wintertime? Amsterdam is wonderful all year round but some months are rainier and colder than others. No matter what the weather there are always lots of things to do in Amsterdam.
You might also like these posts: