Akitsu may be the best sushi in Amsterdam. We sampled sashimi, sushi rolls and small dishes including the agedashi tofu and gyoza. All were delicious!
I’ve finally found that elusive thing: great (affordable) sushi in Amsterdam! I first heard that Akitsu was the “best sushi in Amsterdam” from the lovely Flip of Yelp. I put it on my list of places to visit and then took wayyyy too long making it happen.
We visited Akitsu on a mellow, rainy Wednesday evening. It wasn’t too crowded and we were seated quickly and served some Japanese beers. The staff was attentive and friendly, with kind smiles.
We went for the specials at the front of the menu first, ordering hamachi and toro sushi to start. Hamachi is my favorite yet it is not always as smooth and perfect as I would like. At Akitsu, the hamachi melted on the tongue. Heaven! I knew I would be back to Akitsu again and again.
We also ordered several other sushi and sashimi items like unagi, hotate, salmon and tempura roll and small dishes including the agedashi tofu and gyoza. All were delicious!
If you are a sushi lover, make your way to Akitsu today. I almost don’t want to tell you about this gem, but since it has been open for 26 years the secret is already out.
Reservations are recommended, especially on the weekend. Ask to sit on the floor at the tatami mat tables for a traditional experience.
Rozengracht 230, Amsterdam
Akitsu may be the best sushi in Amsterdam! More research is needed… more sushi must be enjoyed. What is your favorite sushi in Amsterdam? Tag us on social media and let us know!
You might also like these posts:
- De Foodhallen
- Nine Streets Neighborhood Guide
- Top 10 museums in Amsterdam
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Dutch food bicycle route in Amsterdam
- Top canal boat tours in Amsterdam
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best garden cafes in Amsterdam
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- 10 fun facts about the Netherlands