Autumn is one of the best times to be in Amsterdam. Some of the tourists have left for the start of the school season, the weather can be mild and there is lots to see and do. If you get lucky you might even catch some colorful leaves along the canals or in the parks.
Here’s some cool stuff to do in Amsterdam in September, October and November.
10 Things To Do in Amsterdam in Autumn
- The fall in Amsterdam starts out with the opening of the cultural scene during Uitmarkt at the end of August. This fun free festival celebrates art, dance, music and other cultural activities. Catch a free classical concert at the Concertgebouw or see some youth theater at De Krakeling.
- If the autumn blesses us with sunshine, rent a boat and sail through the canals. You can rent a boat here. Be sure to bring a picnic! If maneuvering a boat yourself doesn’t sound like a fun idea, let someone else take the helm. Check out these top canal boat tours in Amsterdam.
- Go for a long boozy weekend brunch complete with bloody marys and mimosas.
- Are you a beer lover? Fall is a great time for beer festivals around the globe! Check out the Amsterdam Beer Festival in the middle of September, the Bokbier Festival at the end of October or just head to a local brewery or Amsterdam specialty beer cafe to taste seasonal specialties.
- Not a huge fan of beer? Prefer wine? Luckily there is a fall festival for you too! Check out the Amsterdam Wine Festival at the end of September. You could also visit some of our favorite wine bars in Amsterdam.
- Autumn is the perfect time to visit one of Amsterdam’s many museums. Check out one of the top 10 or visit a museum farther off the beaten path. Check out one of my favorites, the Cobra Museum.
- Spot some fall color in Amsterdam’s parks. Head to Vondelpark for a bike ride or a stroll or make your way to Amsterdamse Bos. If the weather is nice, bring a picnic.
- When fall arrives I get hungry! What about you? This could be the perfect time for an Amsterdam food tour.
- If the fall weather starts to get cold and nasty, head to one of our favorite cozy bars to hide inside.
- As I mentioned above, fall is the time for culture in Amsterdam. Museumnacht is another fun celebration of art and culture that takes place in the autumn in Amsterdam. Museums, galleries and cultural institutions are open into the wee hours with special activities and events.
- Is it rainy or cold? Take a break at a cafe or restaurant with a friendly fireplace.
- Escape Amsterdam on a day trip or weekend getaway! Here are some awesome ideas for nearby fall trips.
Curious about Amsterdam weather in autumn?
September, October and November you can expect an average temperature around 10.5C/51F and an average of 10.5 days of rain each month. But keep in mind it typically won’t rain all day long, the storm clouds usually come and go. September and October might have some very warm summery days, but it can also be cool and rainy. Wear layers and bring that umbrella just in case.
No matter what the weather there are always lots of things to do in Amsterdam. Check out these things to do on a rainy day.
You might also like these posts:
- Things To Do in Amsterdam in Winter
- 40+ Breakfast & brunch spots in Amsterdam
- 13 Amsterdam secrets
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Cozy cafes with fireplaces
- Vegan & vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- Nine Streets Neighborhood Guide
- 18 coolest libraries in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam street art
- Top 10 museums in Amsterdam