This area of Amsterdam Zuid is an interesting one, especially for restaurants – will they or won’t they survive? With BAUTZUID, Marathonweg and Kiebert seemingly doing well in the neighborhood, I sure am hoping Cafe Houblon makes the cut. [closed]
HOP TO HOUBLON
Before we start eating I already like the fact the music isn’t too loud, that it’s easily accessible by public transport and the tables not too close together. Tap water isn’t an issue and we’re immediately served some really nice olives to nibble on. The waiter is lovely, pretty fluent in Dutch and English, refills our water (without being asked) and takes the time to answer any questions we have.
The menu changes regularly apparently, but at the time it had some good looking stuff on it. We skipped the starter and headed straight for the mains: Canadian steak with fat fries, pepper sauce and salsa verde, and a chickpea burger with house smoked tomatoes, a spicy tomato sauce, also with fries. For both dishes, the sauces made the meal. The (not so) fat fries could be better, but overall good flavors. The red wine did its job and sat nicely with both the meat and the burger.
For dessert we shared a cheese platter, which included homemade apple chutney and decent portions of Comté cheese, St. Nectaire, a blue goat’s cheese, parmesan. It was either this or a dessert from their display – very enticing, and a good and diverse selection to choose from.
Houblon is probably not the cheapest restaurant, but the staff is very nice, the food is good and it is a lovely addition to the area – so worth a visit!
Café Bar Bistro Houblon
Amstelveenseweg 312, Amsterdam
You might also like these posts:
- 13 Amsterdam Secrets
- De Foodhallen
- Nine Streets Neighborhood Guide
- Top 10 museums in Amsterdam
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Dutch food bicycle route in Amsterdam
- Top canal boat tours in Amsterdam
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best garden cafes in Amsterdam
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- 10 fun facts about the Netherlands