With so many good food pop ups in Amsterdam lately, it’s not easy to choose just a few. But here they are!
FAVORITE AMSTERDAM FOOD POP UPS
The Beef Chief
If you are a fan of burgers, then you need to get to know The Chief. Simon is a burger wizard, creating exciting flavor combinations and always inventing something new. His Kim Chief topped with kimchi and sriracha is my very favorite, but his burgers are always fabulous. Look for him at Oedipus Brewery and anchoring food festivals and events all over Amsterdam, he’s often at the Sunday Market too. You’ll easily locate him by the sweet smell of burgers in the air and the long queue of hungry customers.
Our love for tacos is strong, but Amsterdam used to be a sad taco wasteland until we discovered the amazing Orale Taqueria. Gabe and Kristina bring creative and delicious tacos to spots all around the city, past locations include Gs, Staring at Jacob, Tacos & Tears at Butcher’s Tears, and our favorite events the Tequila & Taco afternoons at Hiding in Plain Sight. Look for them to appear in new places this year. You’ll find us there for sure, we can’t seem to stay away. I can’t even pick a favorite menu item to recommend, everything Orale makes is muy delicioso! Love them.
Do you love dumplings and dim sum? Then you should check out Pinch! Megan and her team prepare creative international combinations in the form of dumplings, wraps and potstickers. Think buffalo chicken gyoza, tandoori rice paper wraps and thai spiced steamed dumplings. You can find Pinch popping up at markets and festivals around town like the Neighbourfood Market or be sure to attend one of their special evenings where they pair wine or beer with flavorful bites. Yum!
Best Coast Tacos
More tacos please! Chris brings his love for tacos to Amsterdam with tasty creations he serves all around town. We’ve spotted him at festivals like TonTon XL, and even slinging street tacos at the Albert Cuypmarkt. He’s expanding and growing at a steady place, so you’ll be sure to catch him near you sometime soon. Try his fish taco, it’s super tasty! Chris isn’t afraid to try new flavor combinations and has even done some terrific Asian tacos, wings and hot dog nights. Look for him popping up all over town on Taco Tuesdays at Struik and Studio K.
Bulelani Smoke BBQ
Bulelani is one of the best pop ups in town! Follow them on Facebook to find out about their special dinners that take place about every other month. These dinners are fun affairs with tasty smoked ribs and all the fixins on the side like baked beans and coleslaw. They have friendly servers and tasty wine. The ribs are finger licking good. What more could you want?
Well, one thing you could want is a permanent location where you can have these awesome ribs anytime. Guess what? Now you can. Check them out at Scrapyard in Oud West as of November 2017.
Bakers, caterers and party throwers extraordinaire, Dikke Lepel knows how to have fun! They were the organizers behind last year’s Wild West Brew Fest, an awesome celebration of summer, good beers and food. We’ve also spotted them at Kimchi Farm Festival and popping up on Restaurant Day. You can find their sweet baked products in shops around town like Koko Coffee & Design. The spicy El Jefe salsa is also one of their creations, we love it!
We’re discovering new favorites all the time, so look for this list to expand. Here are a few additional up-and-coming faves and those we haven’t seen in a while that might resurface. Fingers crossed!
- Wake & Bake: Heather makes sweet treats you can find at places like Lot Sixty One Coffee, Bouncespace and markets around town.
- Wendy’s Bao: Look for these yummy little flavor bombs popping up at TonTon Club and other spots. Her fried chicken bao is perfection.
- Bennys & Marys is a fun and fabulous boozy brunch popup that appears now and again.
- Salotto Rosso: Keep your eyes peeled for the fabulous and sassy Dita’s gourmet wine and food events.
- Beer Bros: These cool dudes throw awesome pop ups involving creative beer pairings. If you like brews, be sure to attend their next appearance.
- Simo’s Bar a Vin: the best kind of pop up is a wine bar pop up!
- Hilary’s Table: The beautiful Hilary throws all kinds of events, from Sunday dinners to Restaurant Day pop ups
- The Young Pretenders: We love their Punk Seoul Burger! You can find these burger guys at festivals and food events. If you see it, eat it! They’ve competed in a few Burger Beer Battles, and they win our vote each time.
- Bao Project: These were the most delectable bao around, but I haven’t spotted Chef Fong in some time at the NeighbourFood Market. Please come back with your bao!
- The Cookteaser: One of my favorite bloggers, The Cookteaser sometimes does healthy and fun pop ups at cafes around town. Follow her blog because she is hilarious!
There are many food festivals where you can discover new pop up and food truck folks. Don’t miss Restaurant Day, Rollende Keukens, Pure Markt and the Neighbourfood Market and be sure to check our AGENDA for the latest and greatest!
Have a favorite pop up we didn’t mention? Let us know!
You might also like these posts:
- Vintage clothing shopping in Amsterdam
- Nine Streets Neighborhood Guide
- Sleep on a houseboat in Amsterdam
- 13 Amsterdam secrets
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best garden cafes in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam street art
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- Top canal boat tours in Amsterdam