Spent a day at the museums and feeling a bit tired, hungry and thirsty? Looking for a restaurant near Museumplein? Here are some of our favorite spots to eat and drink close to Amsterdam’s museum quarter.
Best Places to Eat & Drink near Museumplein
Perhaps you have visited the Stedelijk or Rijksmuseum and are feeling a little hungry or thirsty but you still want to stay at Museumplein and visit another museum. Here are our favorites out of the many restaurants to grab a bite on Museumplein.
Museumplein Restaurants : Eat and Drink at the Museums
- The cafe at the Concertgebouw is always a friendly place to meet with friends before catching a concert or heading to the museums. The pastries are from famous baker Holtkamp and their coffee is tasty. The sandwiches are also quite good.
- Visit in the bright restaurant of the Stedelijk for lunch, dinner or just a drink.
- The cafe in the main entrance of the Rijksmuseum is a great place to have a quick lunch, glass of wine or a piece of appeltaart before or after a visit to the museum. There are also three espresso bars in and around the museum.
- If you are after something a little more refined, be sure to check out Rijks, the restaurant at the Rijksmuseum. They serve lunch, dinner and drinks and focus on local Dutch products.
Restaurants in the Amsterdam Museum Quarter : Eat and Drink Near the Museums
If you don’t mind leaving the Museumplein to go in search of food and drink, here are the restaurants we’d recommend within short waking distance or a quick bike ride.
- One of Amsterdam’s best breakfast spots, Bakers & Roasters is a popular option for brunch and lunch. Don’t leave without trying their sweet treats!
- Do you love fish? Walk over to The Seafood Bar for the catch of the day!
- Make your way to the park for a meal or a drink at Vondelpark3. The menu focuses on Dutch ingredients and they have an enormous terrace where you can watch people jogging in the park while you sip a glass of wine.
- A great choice for charming breakfast or lunch is de Bakkerswinkel.
- Coffee Concepts is a nice option if you just want a perfect coffee, a simple sandwich or a soothing smoothie.
- Cafe Brecht is a friendly Berlin style bar with the feeling of grandma’s living room.
- For a creamy cappuccino and a sweet treat, head to Back to Black, a cozy cafe just around the corner from the Rijksmuseum.
- Healthy, hearty and tasty lunch and dinner are always on the menu at Buffet van Odette on the Prinsengracht.
- Cafe Wildschut is very popular with locals as a place to sit outside in the sun when the weather is nice. They have a perfectly situated afternoon terrace.
- Izakaya is a Japanese restaurant in the trendy Sir Albert Hotel. Pop in for bites and cocktails or make a reservation for dinner. Don’t miss their once a month fabulous brunch.
- De Pijp is within walking distance or a quick cycle ride. And there are tons of places to eat and drink there.
Do you have a favorite place to eat or drink near Museumplein, or a Museumplein restaurant you like? Let us know! Find us on social media.
Helpful hint: If you plan to visit more than three museums within the year, we recommend the Museumkaart for locals. The price of €59 is worth it as entrance to each museum is around €15-20 for adults. If you are visiting Amsterdam take a look at the iAmsterdam card which gives you free transport around the city as well as free entry to many museums and attractions in Amsterdam and Haarlem. Check here for more information and to purchase the iAmsterdam card online. Another option is the Holland Pass which grants free access to several museums and attractions, as well as discounts to others. Check here for more information on the Holland Pass.
HAVE YOU VISITED ALL OF THE TOP 10 AMSTERDAM MUSEUMS ALREADY?
You might also like these posts:
- 13 Amsterdam Secrets
- De Foodhallen
- Nine Streets Neighborhood Guide
- Top 10 museums in Amsterdam
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Dutch food bicycle route in Amsterdam
- Top canal boat tours in Amsterdam
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best garden cafes in Amsterdam
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- 10 fun facts about the Netherlands