The neighborhoods of De Pijp and Oud-Zuid have a lot to offer. Let’s explore this area of Amsterdam!
NEIGHBORHOOD GUIDE • AMSTERDAM ZUID & DE PIJP
Starting at the Heineken Brewery and continuing South toward Amsterdamse Bos, the neighborhoods of De Pijp and Oud-Zuid have a lot to offer! Let’s explore this area of Amsterdam!
Beginning at Vondelpark and continuing to the Amstel river, the Oud-Zuid and De Pijp neighborhoods have elegant homes on quiet leafy lanes and busy, lively streets with shopping and cafes. The two neighborhoods seem worlds apart but are right next door to each other.
Shopping in De Pijp & Oud-Zuid
Probably the most well-known street market in Amsterdam is the Albert Cuyp Markt, located right in the middle of de Pijp. This market is open six days per week and sells almost anything you might need. Toothpaste, tshirts, fresh pickles, sunglasses, vegetables, cheese, bicycle locks, scarves and stroopwafels are just a few of the items on hand. Albert Cuyp is a wonderful place to get those random items you can’t seem to find elsewhere, like rainbow shoelaces.
On Saturdays don’t miss the ZuiderMarkt, a biological open air market located at the corner of Jacob Obrechtstraat and Johannes Verhulststraat.
Located between Vondelpark and the Museumplein, PC Hooftstraat is the fanciest shopping street around, some call it the Rodeo Drive of Amsterdam. On this street you can find shops like Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Cartier, Hermès, Chanel and Louis Vuitton. Also take a stroll down Van Baerlestraat for shops like Pauw and Davidoff.
Clothing, Accessories and Design Shops
Here are a few of our favorite clothing and design shops in the neighborhood:
- Charlie+Mary: shop sustainably, ethically and still be super stylish
- All The Luck in The World: great shop with cool design stuff for you and your home
- Hutspot: unique clothing, accessories, art, housewares and furniture
- Cottoncake: clothing, bags, shoes, jewelry and other accessories for cool ladies
- Jan-De Grote Kleinvakman: perfect place for crafters with lots of ribbon, fabric, feathers and buttons
- Witbaard Feestartikelen: great shop to find costumes and accessories
- NHTK: Wear what you love. The rest? NOBODY HAS TO KNOW.
Food and Cooking Shops
Here are a few of our favorite food and cooking shops in the neighborhood:
- Tjin’s Toko: probably the best specialty food store in Amsterdam, they have something from almost every country (including corn tortillas!)
- Duikelman: fancy cooking store with a huge assortment of kitchen products at reasonable prices
- De Pittenkoning: small cooking shop that has everything
- Poptasti Pastry: amazingly lovely shop with delicious macarons
- Le Fournil de Sébastien: delicious French bakery near Olympiaplein
- Brood: a favorite bakery in De Pijp for your daily bread
- Firma Moes: knife shop that also does expert sharpening for your kitchen tools
- My Little Patisserie: amazing French pastry shop
- The Beer Tree: excellent craft beer shop
- De Turk: Turkish grocer 2.0 with amazing food to takeaway
Eating and Drinking in De Pijp & Oud-Zuid
De Pijp and Oud-Zuid are full of many excellent restaurants, cafes and bars.
If you’re craving nasi goreng, a healthy salad, beer, pizza or cake you can find it all in these neighborhoods.
- Bakers & Roasters: one of the best spots in town for brunch and lunch
- De Wasserette: a local hangout with creative and tasty food
- Venkel: fresh and healthy salads made to order
- Gs Bar: boozy brunch a munch
- Spaghetteria: homemade pasta in a family style setting
- SLA: creative and super tasty bio salads, fresh juices and more
- Scandinavian Embassy: best coffee in Amsterdam plus gourmet Nordic food
- Sama Sembo: one of the most famous Indonesian restaurants in Amsterdam
- Little Collins: brunch Melbourne style, tasty and terrific. Dinner too!
- ZUID: a great restaurant with tasty food, drinks and a huge terrace
- de Bakkerswinkel: lovely place to have coffee, breakfast or lunch
- Strand Zuid: hang out on this city beach in the summertime
- Spang Makandra: delicious and affordable Javanese-Surinamese dishes
- Cafe Wildschut: classy cafe with a huge terrace
- De Japanner: Japanese bites and sushi until late
- Caffenation: terrific coffee just at the start of Vondelpark
- Paskamer: small bites paired with wine, craft beer or cocktails
- Bar Bocas: delicious platters and small sandwiches to share
- Kingfisher Cafe: hip bar with great food
- Sir Hummus: authentic and delicious hummus
- Pho 91: tasty Vietnamese food in a casual setting
- Mangiamore: pizza hot from the woodburning oven
- Cafe Bedier: a great local bar to watch Ajax matches
- Par Hasard: crispy fries and lovely Bourgondisch meals
- Labyrinth: cocktails, soul food and poetry nights
- The Butcher: juicy burgers, crispy fries and a secret cocktail bar hidden in the back
- The Fat Dog: gourmet hot dogs paired with cocktails
- Loetje: the neighborhood is home to two branches of this steakhouse
- IJscuypje: yummy ice cream served in summertime, stamppot in winter
- Dignita: delicious brunch and lunch
- Julius Bar&Grill: mouthwatering BBQ from the Big Green Egg
- De Stadskantine: basic but yummy breakfast, lunch and dinner
- CT Coffee & Coconuts: breakfast, coffee, lunch and dinner!
- Burgermeester: inventive and tasty burgers
- The Seafood Bar: fresh seafood near Museumplein
- Butcher’s Tears: awesome local brewery and tasting room
- Tjin’s Toko: great Indonesian/Surinamese food to go
- Houblon: French bistro style dining with a Dutch twist
- Tap Zuid: new craft beer cafe in Zuid
- Portare Via: delicious pizza, eat at their cute checkered tables or to go
- Brazuca and Casa Brazuca: great coffee and Brazilian foods
- Izakaya: chic Japanese restaurant serving cocktails as well
- Wijnbar Paulus: cozy winebar with a living room vibe
- De Pilsvogel: nice terrace to sit and people watch with a drink in hand
- Gollem Proeflokaal: awesome Belgian (and Dutch) beer bar
- Bazar: tasty Middle Eastern food for reasonable prices
- Glouglou: natural wines and yummy snacks to go along with them
- Hakata Senpachi: get your ramen fix on the weekends, yakitori during the week
- Pizzakamer: neighborhood restaurant in de Pijp with excellent pizza
- The Salsa Shop: big burritos, burrito bowls, tacos and salads
- Supermercado: tasty Spanish influenced food for lunch and dinner
- Ron Gastrobar: gastro bar started by the famous Michelin starred chef
- Brouwerij Troost: brewery and restaurant opened by the Cafe Kostverloren crew
- Sapporo Ramen Sora: tasty authentic ramen
- Escobar: Spanish inspired dining in an old bathhouse
Check our map to find locations near you!
Things To Do in De Pijp & Oud-Zuid
As mentioned above, a visit to de Pijp must include a trip through Albert Cuyp Markt. The neighborhood also has several lovely parks including Vondelpark, Sarphatipark and Beatrixpark, as well as the large Amsterdamse Bos nearby.
Many museums are also within the boundaries of Oud-Zuid including the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum and Stedelijk. Or catch a performance at the Concertgebouw, there are even free concerts each week. If alcohol tourism is more your style, try a visit to the Heineken Brewery and the House of Bols.
Most of the monthly markets and festivals like the Sunday Market and NeighbourFood Market are held in the West and East of Amsterdam. But check out the Museum Market which takes place at Museumplein a few times a year. Pure Markt also sometimes pops up on the South side.
Getting Around in De Pijp & Oud-Zuid
Of course in Amsterdam the preferred mode of transport is always the bicycle but it is easy to reach Oud-Zuid and de Pijp by tram or on foot. Many tramlines service the area from all directions. Check 9292.nl for public transit directions.
If you need the Metro or NS train, Amsterdam Zuid Station is close by. The Metro construction through De Pijp has been going on for many years and hopefully will be completed soon.
https://medpsychmd.com/nurse/motrin-800-without-a-prescription/63/ pollution essay in hindi unity in diversity essay for kids https://nebraskaortho.com/docmed/viagra-performance-anxiety-yahoo/73/ lipitor china follow url apa reference format journal article online essay on sex education in public schools concordia thesis library is money important in life essay ancer l haggerty essay contest source url follow url source site original cialis go to site https://sacredwaters.net/citrate/lasix-is-not-working/60/ levitra without prescriptions https://childbirthsolutions.com/sildenafil/safe-order-generic-viagra/20/ source link essay laramie project https://eventorum.puc.edu/usarx/real-generic-viagra-online/82/ http://yogachicago.com/pills/metformin-online/25/ http://mechajournal.com/alumni/admission-essay-custom-essay-writing/12/ essay on society and culture writing an objective statement for resume help writing a resume for a job follow site buy lasix online canada no prescription https://homemods.org/usc/law-essays/46/ lo contrario del viagra order custom essays Come check out Amsterdam Oud-Zuid and de Pijp and enjoy all the things these diverse neighborhoods have to offer! Be sure to visit our handy map to see what is nearby you.
Be sure to check out our other Neighborhood Snapshots:
You might also like these posts:
- 13 Amsterdam Secrets
- Top 10 museums in Amsterdam
- Keukenhof gardens
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best garden cafes in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam street art
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam