Fireworks are a festive and exciting way to celebrate the closing of the old year and begin the new. Where can you see the big fireworks displays in Amsterdam this year?
And what are the rules about fireworks in Amsterdam?
Amsterdam Fireworks: at Home
In Amsterdam it is legal for those at least 16 years of age to purchase fireworks from the 28th to the 31st of December. Check this city website to see where to purchase vuurwerk.
Fireworks are legally allowed all day on the 31st from 18:00 to 2am. If you’ve ever been in Amsterdam for New Years Eve you know that the city erupts with noisy fire crackers for about 24 hours. People throw fire crackers in the street as well as in storm drains, mailboxes, and trash cans. For this reason, the city seals many trash receptacles on this day. Be careful with your pets and kids, there can be quite a ruckus!
The city says they will be issuing fines for lighting fireworks outside these times. The fines start at €100.
Amsterdam Fireworks Shows on New Years Eve
Here are a few popular spots to catch the midnight fireworks displays. Keep in mind that public transport stops running from 20:00 to 1:30am, with the exception of the (free) ferry to Buiksloterweg which runs all night except during the fireworks show.
- Someplace with a roof terrace! Know a friend with a great roof terrace or penthouse apartment? Try to get invited to a party at their house for a great view of the fireworks displays all over the city. Or check out some of our favorite rooftop bars and restaurants in Amsterdam.
- This year the city’s official fireworks show will be at the Kop van Java at midnight. Come and watch the fireworks from Javaeiland, the Janschaeferbrug or from the Noordwal in Amsterdam Noord. The theme this year is “Amsterdam Unite.”
- The throngs head to Nieuwmarkt, Dam Square and Leidseplein to bring in the new year with fireworks displays there. Depending on the weather it can be quite cold and wet, and the crowd can get rowdy so be prepared with your own bottle of champagne!
- A more romantic spot to catch the midnight display is the Magere brug for a view of the fireworks over the Amstel River.
Enjoy the fireworks display in Amsterdam!
Looking for more ideas for a wintertime Amsterdam City Break? Check out this post on Eurostar.com.
You might also like these posts:
- Sleep on a houseboat in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Light Festival
- 13 Amsterdam secrets
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best rooftop bars in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam street art
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- Top canal boat tours in Amsterdam