An amazing nautical festival not to be missed, SAIL Amsterdam only comes around once every five years. Come see the tall ships and other fun events and activities.
••• SAIL AMSTERDAM 2015 •••
SAIL Amsterdam 2015 takes place from Wednesday August 19th to Sunday August 23rd. SAIL was first held in 1975 and happens once every 5 years. This is the 9th event!
SAIL Amsterdam Oceans
This year SAIL has set up five different areas which they are calling ‘Oceans’. Each area is designated by a different color and has its own theme.
- ORANGE = IJhaven is renamed Oranjehaven and hosts the famous Tall Ships and the main stages and activities
- RED = the canals of the city center are designated as the Red Ocean
- BLUE = the Blue Ocean is the area for corporate events, with the Maritime Museum as one of the main meeting spots
- GREEN = the Green Ocean around NDSM is for creative, sustainable and innovative events. Don’t miss a visit to de Ceuvel, lots of special activities are taking place there too.
- WHITE = the White Ocean is the area for the kids!
SAIL Special Events and Activities
Be sure to check the program on the SAIL website. Here are some of the locations and events we think will be awesome:
- Tall ships: the main attraction of SAIL is the tall ships which come from all over the world. These will be docked around the Orange area along the IJ to the east of central station. You can check them out from 10AM to 11PM each day.
- Concerts: there are concerts and performances all around SAIL with the largest each evening at the “Sail Music Marina” in Noord.
- Kaap de Groene Hoop: a fun market and party at NDSM
- Fireworks: don’t miss the displays each evening over the IJ
Where to Eat, Drink & Party during SAIL Amsterdam
We’ve compiled a list of our favorite bars, cafes, restaurants and other events that are not part of the official SAIL program. Check it out here! Also be sure to check out our list of special SAIL parties and events around Amsterdam.
Have fun and enjoy this very cool and unique event!
You might also like these posts:
- Vintage clothing shopping in Amsterdam
- Sleep on a houseboat in Amsterdam
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Amsterdamse Bos
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best garden cafes in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam street art
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best parks in Amsterdam