What is it like to live on a houseboat in Amsterdam? Luckily, you can find out yourself and rent one during your visit.
HOUSEBOATS IN AMSTERDAM
You’ll find old ships converted into living quarters and custom built floating mansions. Many tourists are curious about the history of houseboats in Amsterdam. The city often suffers from a shortage of affordable housing, and this was the case after WWII. Unused cargo ships were converted into affordable living spaces and docked along the canals, avoiding rent and taxes. Nowadays however, houseboats are seen as charming and desirable places to stay, and rents are not cheap!
Check out these photos of some of our favorites.
STAY ON A HOUSEBOAT IN AMSTERDAM
We’ve found tiny boats perfect for just one or two guests or huge ships for groups of up to 25 people! You can rent a houseboat in the city center on one of the main canals like Prinsengracht or Brouwersgracht, along the harbors on the IJ or in the quieter neighborhoods of the city like Oud-West.
There are lots of places to rent a houseboat, here are a few of our top choices:
- Airbnb: There are many houseboats in Amsterdam listed on Airbnb. Register on Airbnb with this link and you’ll save €30 on your first trip!
- Westerdok is a wonderful quiet area. Right next to the city center and Central Station, it doesn’t get much more convenient than that. Check out this awesome houseboat moored at Westerdok!
- This cool 2 bedroom houseboat is actually an old converted cargo ship! Definitely a unique place to stay with your family or friends.
- Check out this peaceful and cozy houseboat on one of Amsterdam’s prettiest canals, the Brouwersgracht.
- House-Boat Hotel: This website has a selection of houseboats for large groups as well as smaller boats for 2 people.
- This bright houseboat has a view on one of my favorite canal panoramas. And it is located next to Rembrandtplein for easy access to everything in the city center.
- Love windmills? Then you’ll want to check out this houseboat located right next to a windmill in Amsterdam West.
- Houseboats.nl only has a few houseboats listed but these are some of the classiest houseboats in town.
- This lovely floating home in Amsterdam Zuid is worth a look!
- Jacob van Lennepkade is a quiet canal just outside the city center that is wonderful for houseboats. Check out this cozy and private houseboat.
- CityMundo: Smaller and less expensive houseboats for the solo traveler or couples.
- Take a look at this modern and spacious houseboat on the Amstel.
- Amsterdam Book Now: This website has several houseboats for rent.
- Stay on this small affordable houseboat in a harbor near Centraal Station.
You can also learn more about houseboats at the Houseboat Museum on the Prinsengracht.
Looking for unique places to stay in Amsterdam? Check out these unusual and unique accommodations in Amsterdam. And if you are looking for some of the best hotels in the city, check these 13 upscale options.
Are you fascinated by houseboats? Check out these other cities around the world that have houseboat communities!
Looking for quirky hotels in Amsterdam? Check out Hotel de Windketel, Sweets Hotel, Faralda Crane Hotel, Leidinghuis and Hotel Not Hotel too.
You might also like these posts:
- Vintage clothing shopping in Amsterdam
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Amsterdamse Bos
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 23 FREE things to do in Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best garden cafes in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam street art
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best parks in Amsterdam