Go from mild to hot at this excellent Indonesian restaurant.
TEMPO DOELOE • DELICIOUS INDONESIAN WITH A SPICY KICK
Tempo Doeloe is a small Indonesian restaurant located on the charming Utrechtsestraat. To dine here you should have a reservation in advance. Ring the doorbell and the host or hostess will show you in. They keep the front door locked in order to keep your dining experience peaceful.
However, the peace of your meal may be interrupted if you do not take care when sampling the “terlaloe pedis” menu items. These very spicy dishes are indeed quite spicy! In fact, my dining companion did not heed the warnings and took a huge bite of the spiciest dish, resulting in a tomato red face and a bout of coughing and water gulping.
But don’t be concerned, if you do not act too rashly with the spices your meal at Tempo Doeloe will be absolutely delightful. Many diners select one of the rijsttafel meals which consist of rice and many small dishes of meats or vegetables. Tempo Doeloe serves the items in order from mildest to spiciest so as to not overwhelm the taste buds at the beginning.
Have a glass of beer or wine with your meal, and finish it off with spekkoek, a delicious Indonesian spiced cake that is named after the striations in bacon.
Tempo Doeloe Restaurant
Utrechtsestraat 75, Amsterdam
You might also like these posts:
- 13 Amsterdam Secrets
- De Foodhallen
- Nine Streets Neighborhood Guide
- Top 10 museums in Amsterdam
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Dutch food bicycle route in Amsterdam
- Top canal boat tours in Amsterdam
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best garden cafes in Amsterdam
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- 10 fun facts about the Netherlands