It’s raining! You probably don’t feel like sitting on a terrace or strolling around town or going on a open boat ride along the canals. So what should you do?
Here are some of our tips for enjoyable ways to spend those rare (haha) rainy days in Amsterdam.
Things To Do On a Rainy Day in Amsterdam
- Hop on the ferry (be sure to squeeze inside where it is dry) and head over to the North side. Maybe check out the EYE Museum or catch a film in their theaters. You can even have lunch, dinner or just a slice of pie in the cafe with huge windows overlooking the water. Or pop over to THT for some food and drinks. You can also head up to the top of the A’DAM Toren for gray views over the city.
- A rainy day is the perfect time to soak up some culture while keeping dry. We love Amsterdam’s small museums but if you want to spend a rainy day indoors you can always museum hop at Museumplein. Check out the Stedelijk, the Van Gogh, MOCO Museum and the Rijksmuseum. They are just a few steps away from each other so you should be able to avoid getting drenched. Definitely consider purchasing tickets in advance as on busy days you might be waiting in long lines in the rain. If you’d like to have a bite to eat, check out our guide to dining around Museumplein.
- Of course catching a film is the perfect thing to do when the weather is frightful. Head to one of our favorite cinemas to watch a movie.
- Get cozy at one of these cafes and restaurants with fireplaces, where you can stare into the flames until the raindrops stop falling. Or while away the hours with beer and bitterballen at one of Amsterdam’s coziest cafes.
- De Hallen in Amsterdam West is a terrific place to spend a rainy day. You can shop in stores and have some food at De Foodhallen or one of the local restaurants. You can even catch a movie at De Filmhallen. All without stepping outdoors.
- Go for a coffee or tea with a friend and have a long chat while outside it is raining cats and dogs. Check out some of our favorite coffee places in Amsterdam.
- What better way to chase the rainy day blues away than with a few tasty beers? Head to Arendsnest or In de Wildeman for a huge selection of craft beers that will keep you entertained for many hours. When you go outside again you might not even notice the raindrops.
- For some, a walk in the rain is a fun and romantic way to spend some time. Grab those galoshes and an umbrella and head out to the streets of the city. It will probably be much quieter than usual which can be really nice. If a walk in nature is more appealing, make your way to Amsterdamse Bos or just visit a local park that will likely be deserted.
Check our agenda for lots more ideas!
Curious about Amsterdam’s weather? Check out our guide to knowing what to expect and the weird weather apps that locals use.
You may also like these posts:
- Amsterdam’s 20 coziest cafes
- Cafes with fireplaces
- 7 Dutch drinks you should try
- Amsterdam Light Festival
- Top 10 museums in Amsterdam
- Best canal boat tours in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam gift guide
- 18 coolest libraries in Amsterdam
- 12 fun things to do in winter
- Utrecht: day trip from Amsterdam