The Netherlands celebrates its windmills on Nationale Molendag. Visit some of the 950 windmills, some near Amsterdam, that open to visitors and take part in the festivities.
NATIONALE MOLENDAG • CELEBRATE THE WINDMILLS OF HOLLAND
There are more than 950 windmills in the Netherlands, with more than 100 in Noord-Holland, and about 10 windmills in Amsterdam city limits. On May 10th and 11th many of these windmills will be open to the public for tours and viewings as well as hosting fun events to celebrate the 42st annual National Windmill Day.
Check out the Nationale Molendag website for locations of windmills and information on the special events. Tour working windmills, eat pancakes and bread from grains ground by the local windmills, and shop for windmill products and art. There are also lots of fun festivities for the kids.
Learning more about the construction and operation of windmills is fascinating. And windmill products like mustard from De Huisman windmill in Zaanse Schans or flours from Molen de Vriendschaap in Weesp make excellent gifts.
For a lovely active day out and about looking at windmills, choose one of the bicycle routes on the Nationale Molendag website. You can choose a route that visits windmills near Amsterdam like the one around Alkmaar, or take your bicycle on the train to begin elsewhere in the Netherlands.
WINDMILLS IN AMSTERDAM
Following is a list of eight windmills in Amsterdam. Visiting these lovely pieces of Dutch history is a great way to see many areas of the city. Some of these mills are not open to the public but can be viewed from the outside. To learn more about Amsterdam windmills take a look at our article about Windmills in Amsterdam.
- De Krijtmolen d’ Admiraal in Amsterdam-Noord
- De Gooyer in Amsterdam-Oost (at Brouwerij ‘t IJ)
- Molen De 1200 Roe in Amsterdam-West
- Molen de Bloem in Amsterdam-West
- Molen de Otter in Amsterdam-West (pictured above)
- De Riekermolen in Amsterdam-Buitenveldert
- Molen van Sloten in Sloten
- De Oudemolen/ Akermolen in Sloten
For more information on locations, opening times and possible tours, visit the Nationale Molendag website and check out these windmills in Amsterdam. Other interesting windmills near Amsterdam include De Adriaan in Haarlem and of course those at Zaanse Schans.
You might also like these posts:
- 13 Amsterdam Secrets
- 23 FREE things to do in Amsterdam
- Nine Streets Neighborhood Guide
- Top 10 museums in Amsterdam
- 15 specialty beer bars in Amsterdam
- Things to do on a rainy day in Amsterdam
- Dutch food bicycle route in Amsterdam
- Top canal boat tours in Amsterdam
- Haarlem: day trip from Amsterdam
- 25 top coffee spots in Amsterdam
- Best garden cafes in Amsterdam
- 40+ breakfast and brunch spots in Amsterdam
- Vegetarian restaurants in Amsterdam
- 10 fun facts about the Netherlands